Friday 12 December 2014

My Music of the (Y)Ear 2014



Oh look another list - how exciting! Right. You don't care, I don't care, nobody cares but I still made one, a cut-down one 'cause....what's the point? Half the lists you'll see in supposedly 'tasteful' ports of call will consist of records by mates of those doing the compiling anyway...and that's all right, I mean, you've got to support your mates, right? As for The Wire this year - look who's at Number 1! Him. Have they lost the plot? Did they ever know it? Yes, there was a time. But despite this year's winner, The Wire's still essential...isn't it? Oh, and Actress at Number 5...........I deleted that after one skip through - hah! As if my opinion counts for anything. 

I have no friends in the music biz so I can honestly say I know none of the names below. Except Sun Ra, who's been a mate since we played on Saturn together...but him aside...(it's only a comp but it's Sun Ra, it's remastered...and it's Sun Ra)...
and the Miles Davis Fillmore gigs......do I have to justify their inclusion? No. Should I need to explain? No......
Sleaford Mods - funny, they're even high in The Wire chart...that's the ex-SWP Improv intelligentsia keeping it real, I think......Jason's a good bloke, even if recently he admitted/claimed to being lower middle, not working class, which doesn't explain the décor of the room they were filmed in once (someone else's house?)...or his uncanny ability to get inside the collective Head of Despair that belongs to all dead end proles....perhaps with his earnings this year his is now lower-middle and good luck to him...it couldn't happen to a nicer man and as I said before let's hope success will not spoil him.......
Time Attendant just made one of the most interesting electronic albums this year...'cause he's interesting....and paints.....and has a bright mind......
Millie & Andrea put the boom back in D&B, soiled, distorted providers of the most kicks up the arse (sonically) I've been able and willing to give myself in 2014............
Seaes.........that box.........keep going.....there's a lot of mileage to be had there.in the details......shame Chris doesn't make more music.........
Crass In Africa........BOOF! Big surprise and I love it, I do....it's got the right attitude.............
Mica Levi's soundtrack to The Film Of The Year (like I've seen many others but it is sensational) and the sustained sound atmosphere...yes.......
Valerio Tricoli...........when 'electroacoustic' was dropped everywhere for a touch of creditability (ha!) this got close to the real deal whilst Pierre, Bernard (both mates) and dear François are no longer in the game it was good to hear someone taking their lessons seriously without fashioning a lame fake......
and Neotantrik because I've enjoyed everything they've done and Blue Amiga didn't disappoint and they do that thing (you know, that thing) better than most......

Time Attendant - Bloodhounds (Exotic Pylon)
Hacker Farm / Libbe Matz Gang - Crass In Africa (No Label) 
Marshall Allen presents Sun Ra And His Arkestra: In The Orbit Of Ra (Strut)
Seaes - Seaes II (Meds)
Millie & Andrea - Drop The Vowels (Modern Love)
Mica Levi - Under The Skin OST (Warners)
Miles at the Fillmore - Miles Davis 1970: The Bootleg Series Vol. 3 (Columbia)
Valerio Tricoli - Miseri Lares (PAN)
Neotantrik - Blue Amiga (Pre-Cert Home Entertainment)
Sleaford Mods - Divide and Exit (Harbinger Sound)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...