Friday 17 July 2015

M.E.S.H. - Piteous Gate (PAN)


On repeat all afternoon and meshing with my head whilst I throw words into the concrete mixer - ha- ha! James Whipple (M.E.S.H., an acronym for what, I don't know, but how about Murderous Electronic Sound Head? No?) may well have influenced my visual work what with the razor sharp dicing 'n' slicing he performs in sound. Not in a plunderphonic sense, you understand, but more like taking a scythe to all manner of genres, most imagined by me, such as Trip-Score, Blade-Hop and Hip-Cut...yes. Walk through the Piteous Gate; it's a portal, perhaps to LA circa 2019, although Ridley was a little off in his predictive powers because as far as I know the City Of Angels is not populated by renegade replicants. No matter, an Oriental feel seeps through here, melodically, at times, then again from the kind of Source Direct-style Samurai sword slashing sound. The trick is to offset cinematic, sweeping melodic (under)statements with brutal, fractured sonic wallops. Add smart details and thoughtful arrangements for good measure. Ace. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...