Wednesday 12 August 2015

Karlheinz Stockhausen/Stuckhausen Bargain Vinyl Finds



Ah, don't you hate it when record-buyers brag about finding super rare albums at a bargain price - the bastards! That never happens to me, until yesterday. I've spent decades getting my fingers grubby in second-hand shops, enduring the sight of so much crap in the hope of finding something good, but no. OK, a long time ago, before Jazz vinyl became sought after once the Jazz Revival started you could pick up original albums at good prices. Other than that, over the years sellers have become more knowing - damn the internet! How dare charity shops get more money for rare records thus depriving me of a bargain!

So yesterday I was in Crouch End's Oxfam, checking the books first, as usual, then finally the Classical racks for 20th century avant-garde stuff that never materialises when...hold on...Stockhausen? A pound? And another! And another! AND ANOTHER! I nearly passed out. Upon pulling out the inner sleeves to check the condition I realised they were all ex-library records complete with stamp cards. This is the record of withdrawals from Stoke Newington District Library for Prozession. Not much demand over nearly five years, as you can see...what a surprise....


...these library cards add even more pleasure to the finds, for me, a historical record, the kind you rarely see. I try to imagine the types that would have opted for Stockhausen. The dates on the percussion album go right back to 1971...perhaps some hippies borrowed it...or tweedy intellectuals...the only types I can think of who might be interested in Stockhausen back then. Nowadays his name is dropped more often; the old barriers of high culture and elite inaccessibility having been smashed by the internet. In theory. No, let's not be negative. It's obvious that those who would never have heard him in the 70s or even 80s...proles like me, perhaps, can now enjoy the democratic easy access online sound world possibilities. Remembering, of course, that you can lead a horse to water etc.

I love the back sleeve to opus 70 with photos of some electronic gear...


...I also love the crackles and pops of the vinyl (yes, that old record junky fix!), which is not to say I wouldn't have preferred them all to be in VG condition. But having checked the first and seen the library stamps I knew they'd all be well-worn. Such is the way of borrowers; no need to respect the vinyl. I've managed to scrape off a few bits that obstruct the needle in its progress through the grooves. There haven't been many so far. Well, would you like to hear some Stuckhausen? Of course you would. Here's the sticking point on Prozession...


That was fun, wasn't it? TTFN

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...