Friday 21 August 2015

Shit and Shine - Everybody's A Fuckin Expert (Editions Mego)



True. Everyone's a fuckin' expert now that the hierarchical dominance of 'expertise' has been demolished by this tool for the democratic projectile vomiting of opinion - ha! Me? I'm nobody. You don't need my opinion of this album. Do you? No. But...

...since you're here...

...I read about it in The Wire, yes, that organ of expertise pertaining to obscurities in sound/art/text for those of the highest brows (perhaps raised, quizzically, at the sight of so many names with which they're unfamiliar, yet trusting the experts with regards to the importance/worthiness of those names). So I read about Everybody's A Fuckin Expert, went to the Editions Mego Bandcamp site, played the only available-for-preview track and actually paid for the album. Shocking. But why not? It's Friday and I felt like going crazy by spending £5.03p. That's how enthusiastic/optimistic I was. Was it worth it?

Of course, otherwise I wouldn't be giving you my expert opinion. I'm an expert on using the coffee machine in the kitchen, that's all. Even then I don't clean it as regularly as I should. Still, I made myself a good mug of the stuff half an hour ago and combined with the beats a bastard bass noise emanating from the speakers courtesy of Shit and Shine it's creating a grand effect - a kind of high, a low end high, like a low rider bumping my brain up and down the boulevard of broken beats.

Working On My Fitness is perfect for pumping my pecs. Not that you'd hear it in a gym. Not that I'd be seen dead in one. BOING-BOM-BOM! (C)hip-hop with more bounce to the ounce than your average bling beat shit, for sure. There's a track called Ass, which I like to imagine being played at a fitness work-out session inducing epilepsy in the class, complete with exploding eyeballs and busted buttocks. Stockwell's rhythm is the type that would get your head nodding off if you heard it 'live'. I imagine. I can only imagine Shit And Shine 'live' because I'd never go. They'd scare me. And make me yearn for the peace of my bed and a book. Meanwhile, with the window wide open on this Summer's afternoon I'm treating the street to it. Mr & Mrs People need to hear it. I know. I'm an expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...